Monday, September 19, 2011

How often do I really need to get an oil change?

I drive a 2007 Hyundai Elantra, and I would guess most of my mileage comes from highway driving. I don't usually drive in hilly areas or on unpaved roads. So is it really necessary for me to get an oil change every 3000 miles? What's a good rule of thumb?How often do I really need to get an oil change?I tell my customers they're okay if they change their oil and oil filters every 3500 to 5000 miles based on which type of vehicle they drive, but the real answer is that you must follow the specifications and maintenance schedule given in your owners' manual. This is important for warranty purposes. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a good rule of thumb? Yeah. That's why that cute, little book is in your glove box.How often do I really need to get an oil change?Your owners manual should outline the specific intervals for your vehicles requirements. Changing oil every 3K miles isn't always needed or a standard. I do my Sentra every 5K.How often do I really need to get an oil change?My dealer on my 98 Toyota recommends 5,000 miles.How often do I really need to get an oil change?if you use fossil fuel (non-synthetic), keep to the 3000 (give or take) mile rule. if you use syntethic, you can easily get 5000+ miles safely.How often do I really need to get an oil change?Your owner's manual may give different intervals based on your driving habits. You might get as much a 7500 miles if you do a bunch of highway driving. Don't waste your money with the 3000 mile recommendation. It might be a little better for your engine, but probably won't make enough of a difference to be worth it.How often do I really need to get an oil change?I change mine every 3000 miles, no matter synthetic or not.

synthetic does last longer though, but my 4x4 gets beetHow often do I really need to get an oil change?To maintain the warranty (100,000 mile drivetrain), ya gotta do what the manufacturer recommends. Other than the warranty, the other answers were right about the 5,000 mile oil change.How often do I really need to get an oil change?Most likely, your Hyundai is still under warranty, so I'd stick with what the owners manual says. If you aren't sure, just stick with the 3 months/3000 mile change interval. After the warranty is expired, you can go to whatever you like. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to go 4-5000 miles on each change but it is better for your engine to stick with the normal interval. I change my truck's oil every 3000 miles and it has over 157,000 miles on it so I must be doing something right.



Hope this helpsHow often do I really need to get an oil change?It depends, smaller vehicles can last longer but don't go past 5k bigger vehicles like my Chevy Blazer I do it at 3k, in general though the best would be 3k for any vehicle

No comments:

Post a Comment