Friday, September 23, 2011

How many of you use an oil change service?

My van is due for service, I think I know where not to take it.



Take 5 minutes and check this out...

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.ib



What do you do to make sure you are getting what you pay for?How many of you use an oil change service?Todvango ... No, I've not used Jiffy Lube more than a handful of times in my life. I have a regular mechanic who is:

?Competent (never have to return to correct or redo any work he does)

?Fair priced (half the hourly rate the dealership charges)

?Honest (brings you into the service bay to show you what's going on and the service bay is in full view of the waiting area.



It also helps to ask a question or two and have a clue as to what's going on so you can check the work that is done.



I once needed to have a tensioner changed, but couldn't go to my regular mechanic. After the work was done and my car returned to me, I started the engine, lifted the hood to take a look, and the new tensioner was not working at all; the serpentine belt flopped around all over the place. Fortunately I immediately caught that and they replaced it, of course.



As for Jiffy-Lube, I do NOT go there because:

?They're way over-priced

?They used to try that gimmick where they showed you the color of a lubricant on a white card to talk you into ordering service you didn't yet need.

?Unless you tell them otherwise, they take stuff apart, want to show you a slightly dusty filter, etc., to talk you into getting service you didn't ask for and may not even need.

?Their 3,000 mile oil change recommendation is a farce, I feel.



I say this because by Jiffy-Lube's standard, you'd be changing your oil twice as frequently as the dealership's recommended maximum oil change frequency. While I don't wait until the maximum, I don't panic when I've gone 3,000 miles on an oil change, either.



I often wondered to myself why the big disparity between Jiffy-Lube's recommended mileage limits and the recommendations of the auto manufacturers. So I visited the Jiffy-Lube web site on one occasion long ago. A big banner greeted me: %26quot;Change your oil every 3,000 miles,%26quot; but there was a footnote saying the 3,000 mile recommendation referred to heavy service vehicles such as those used in dusty locations, mostly stop-and-go traffic, very hot weather areas, and vehicles that tow trailers. Great, except later they just dropped the footnote and tried to make it seem you must change your oil every 3,000 miles. Sorry, but I'm not going for it.



Furthermore, they USED to boast about using Pennzoil, a brand I happen to like. Now, though, my local Jiffy-Lube charges extra for Pennzoil.



Yes, I've seen this video before on YouTube. Thanks for a great catch and service to us Answers members.



P.S. ?I should add this additional comment: Not all Jiffy-Lube outlets are dishonest. However, if the corporate headquarters unreasonably pressures their outlets to increase sales, this can only invite the corrupt practices reported in the investigative report.



Also, if they don't give the public the clear impression that the dishonesty is being promptly, firmly, and effectively dealt with, even their long-time customers are likely to walk away.



Making sure the name Jiffy-Lube is not associated with dishonest practices is crucial; it's also the only way to prevent the honest outlets from needlessly suffering too.



It's up to you, Jiffy-Lube.How many of you use an oil change service?There are some oil change places where you can actually look through a window in the lobby to see what they are doing.

-All of the oil changing technicians are trained to try to sell you a new air filter and other items. You can get them cheaper at WalMart or Autozone.

-Most standard oil changes now go for $35 and up.How many of you use an oil change service?I assume the best way to know you're getting a deal is to find a good honest shop. Of course, the only way you know that is by word of mouth and sometimes trial and error.



I personally take mine to the dealership. They've yet to try to upsell me or rip me off yet.



Of course, the best way to guarantee it's done is to do it yourself. Oil Changing is not a complex task.How many of you use an oil change service?I always go with wal-mart. best bang for the buck. And most of them do a 15 point inspection. call them and ask how much. Good luckHow many of you use an oil change service?99% of the employees at those prolube and similair businnesses are booger eating morons who until then had never opened a Quart of oil. Some don't even drive yet. With this Moronic generation now living among us and semi on their own, we are in trouble.How many of you use an oil change service?I don't know because my computer refuses to play all but mpeg and certain wmv files due to very high security settings, but I always change the oil and filter myself, one to save money, two to make sure it got done right (which is not to say I never made a mistake lol).How many of you use an oil change service?i change my own oil.that way i dont have to pay someone,and i know its done.i very seldom go to the garage,i do my own work.these garages are too high and most of them are rip offs.How many of you use an oil change service?there''s a gauge over the engine hood use it to check the oil level and the color of the oil , the colo should be like a gold colorHow many of you use an oil change service?I don't, I change the oil myself.

I have a 67 Mustang for Summer %26amp; a 01 Montero suv for the rest of the year

No, you do not get what you pay for. It is both cheaper %26amp; faster to just do it yourself.How many of you use an oil change service?stay with your vehicle while service is performed// if u feel they arent giving u the service that u paid for// call the bereau of automotive repair and make a formal complaint// things will change at that shop very quickly// goodluck//godblessHow many of you use an oil change service?Some of them can be legit. I have taken my car to Jiffy Lube before. They used to ALWAYS try to sell me an air filter. Once I changed the filter myself just before I went in. I drove 5 miles to the oil change place and they told me I needed a new air filter. We had a nice discussion about it that day.



I usually go to Wal Mart now, they are reasonable and when they do try to sell you an extra part it is at a real price, not 3 times normal retail like Jiffy Lube.How many of you use an oil change service?Myself I watch what they do,if they don't let me I go to another shop.How many of you use an oil change service?Ive seen that video, I've also heard that Ford has discovered one of the big chain oil change places has defective oil filters. It seems that the glue they used inside the filter to hold the paper to the ends is dissolving and clogging up the oil passages in the engine ruining the engines.How many of you use an oil change service?I take my car to the dealership. It costs more but I have a Mini Cooper and they require a Mini Synthetic oil that you can only by from Mini. They recomend if I go somewhere else to use Castrol Synthetic motor oil, but I just let them do it.How many of you use an oil change service?I go to a small shop, where I can actually stand by my car and chat with mechanic while he is doing his job. And I always bring my own oil and filter.

No comments:

Post a Comment