Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Brought my car in for a oil change today and the mechanic told me that I had two leaks.?

One in the transmission, one in the engine. He says that for the transmission the part needed for the repair is a filter joint. Would someone kindly tell me what this is? The part and oil is 86 dollars...labour 166..is this reasonable? What could cause this to leak? Second he said the engine is leaking oil somewhere too. He will clean the engine and find the leak. How could these two things happened at the same time??? Is my engine finished?

Also, didn't have a oil change done for a few months (6), I know I should have but whats done is done. Learned my lesson. Could this have something to do with the leaks?Brought my car in for a oil change today and the mechanic told me that I had two leaks.?If you took your car in for an oil change and didn't ask the mechanic to change the transmission filter, what was he doing in the transmission? If he didn't really go into the transmission to change the oil and filter, then he is blowing you some smoke(maybe from the filter joint). He would have no way of knowing anything that was going on in the transmission. If he did drop the transmission pan then he could have found a bad filter seal.

You have to know exactly what he did and why.



For the engine leak you need another opinion. Depends where it is coming from and how bad it is. If your car dirties the parking lot with big drops or pools of oil you really need to find and repair the leak, now! At 70,000 K you might have a few seeps from valve cover and or engine oil pan gaskets. That wouldn't be unusual or much to worry about. I am assuming he does mean the engine pre se and not the power steering hoses or pump. Just keep your engine clean and an eye on the leak source. If it becomes more than a seep, get the seal replaced.

Parts and labor are maybe a little on the %26quot;high%26quot; side but tolerable.Brought my car in for a oil change today and the mechanic told me that I had two leaks.?I have never heard of a filter joint for a transmission the oil filter may have a seal of sorts, but I have never heard of transmission joints find out for sure what is leakingBrought my car in for a oil change today and the mechanic told me that I had two leaks.?Get a second opinion.Brought my car in for a oil change today and the mechanic told me that I had two leaks.?No offense at all, but i think your mechanic is trying to rip you off. especially if you are a chic, no assumptions. ok, what you need to think about is this, if you really had two leaks, then they would have caused a problem already. now, if your car is indeed leaking, then i suggest shopping around, and asking someone about it that you know, like a relative. as for the price it seems about average, nothing too much. but my advise is be careful. by the way, i do my own maintenance on cars and i havent heard of a filter joint, but upon research this is what i found for you:The recommended maintenance intervals for CV joints and boots vary from one automaker to another. While some OEs recommend inspection at each oil change, other makers don't mention it in their schedules until the 30,000-mile mark. But all agree that inspection should be done on a regular basis.



Since damaged or defective boots are the most common cause of CV joint failure, inspection should be done each time a vehicle is on a lift for service. These boots are designed to hold grease in and keep dirt and water out. If grease is thrown out of a CV joint by axle rotation, the joint will fail prematurely. Dirt entering the joint, meanwhile, will cause erosion, while water will result in rust and corrosion. Always inspect the boot pleats for minor cracks and rips. These tears will quickly become larger because of the flexing action of the rubber.Brought my car in for a oil change today and the mechanic told me that I had two leaks.?Take it somewhere else... You may be the victim of a scam... No, you not having the oil changed for 6 mths did not have anything to do with it..depends also on how many miles are on the vehicle.. ??? at your last oil change, was there any mention of the current needed repairs?? if not, and this isnt the place you took it to 6 mths ago, go back to that place.. see what they say.. has your transmission been giving you probs.. if it is a stick, the prob would be the inability to put in gear, if automatic, when you shift to drive, does it take a min to kick into gear? I havent heard of the transmission filter joint... thats new to me-= there is a thing called the transmission filter.. The leaks on transmission could be transmission pan gasket, transmission cooler line or the transmission seal..depending on the kind of car... saturn has the external tranny filter.. so that could be a leaking area. The oil leak- could be anything.. the best thing to do is get a second opinion by a trusted person...Brought my car in for a oil change today and the mechanic told me that I had two leaks.?A filter joint may be where two halves come together with a gasket or seal in between.

The oil is the blood of your engine. It has to be kept clean. Oil changes should be made every 3000 miles, even though the book may say 5000 or more. (Yes your car will last longer)

As engines age they start to leak a little. This is normal and I wouldn't worry. If you start noticing a huge puddle under your car you'd better get it fixed quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment